Capturing big scenes often requires multiple images. Learn the techniques for taking shots for panoramas, and how to stitch them all together seamlessly for one perfect finished photograph.
Often the out-of-camera image just doesn’t do a scene justice – but all the information you need is there in the image file. Learn how to bring out the colors, highlights and other details so your finished photo matches the scene you witnessed.
This workshop is built for anyone wanting to take their photography to the next level while having fun outside!
- Capture landscapes without parts of the scene being too bright or too dark
- Get photographs of wildlife that are sharp and compelling and make them POP with a little editing
- Shoot and stitch together dramatic panoramas
- Explore High Dynamic Range (HDR) techniques for taking multiple exposures and blending them together in Lightroom with subtle, natural, and powerful results
- Use natural light and flash to create beautiful shots
- Process your images so that they match beauty of the scene as you see it with your own two eyes
Explore our diverse beaches and forest habitats while expanding your mastery of photography — from composition, to camera settings, to post-processing.
ALL SKILL LEVELS & EQUIPMENT WELCOME!
Whether you’re shooting with a smart phone, a point-n-shoot or a professional DSLR, you’ll learn tools, tricks and techniques to improve your photography.
Don’t worry if you’re new to Lightroom or use a different editing program. What we cover in this portion of the workshop can be applied to your image editing practices no matter your current experience level or what software you prefer.
With this Photo workshop, you’ll:
- Create striking images of Oregon’s landscapes and wildlife
- Boost your skills in the subtle tricks of composition and lighting
- Expand your understanding of which camera settings to use in different scenarios
- Practice crafting images of big scenes and small details
- Learn easy but powerful editing techniques that professionals use to make their images POP!
Full-Day: 8 hours – we’ll schedule our outing for your preference of maximizing sunrise or sunset light.
Sunrise to Sunset: Hours vary by season, but these are long days. Plan on roughly an 11-hour day in winter, and as long as an 18-hour day in summer.
Starts at $300
Discounted pricing for groups
Tour locations range in along the coast, and we may visit spots anywhere from Tillamook to Florence. Depending on your preferences, the weather, tide schedule, and a range of other factors, our list of locations may include such highlights as:
– Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area
– Yaquina Bay
– Devil’s Punchbowl
– Depoe Bay
– Seal Rock
– Drift Creek Falls
– State parks and forests
– and many other gorgeous spots along Oregon’s central coast
Of course, mixed in with these known locations are a slough of less celebrated and carefully scouted wild spots that are pure gems for photography.
- ALL skill levels welcome!
- Small-group setting with a maximum of 4 participants
- Stretch your creativity in composition, camera settings, and lighting
- Enjoy shooting in gorgeous coastal and forest settings
- Learn post-processing techniques in Lightroom to make your images pop
The morning is spent exploring my favorite locations on the coast. Each location is selected based on season, tides, weather and recent wildlife activity so that we maximize your chances of unique shots. Locations most often range between Cascade Head and Cape Perpetua.
Working at a comfortable pace, we take plenty of time to work on skills you’ve been struggling with or new skills you want to learn. And of course we pause for snacks and topping up our coffee cups.
Mid-day, we break for leisurely lunch at a much-loved local eatery. Here, we’ll have a classroom session about Lightroom. I’ll cover post-processing strategies and techniques professional photographers use to polish images. There will be time to ask specific questions about workflow and to practice these techniques on images you photographed that morning!
In the afternoon, we head back out to explore more locations. You’ll have a chance to practice the skills learned during the morning session, and try even more new techniques.
Our time together is tailored to your experience level and what skills you’d most like to work on, so you’ll have a customized experience and a diverse set of images to take home.
After your workshop date is confirmed, you’ll receive a link to an online intake form where you can fill me in on you current skill level, interests, what you’d like to learn and see, and more. These details help me customize the day’s itinerary around your needs.
You’ll also receive details on what to wear, what equipment to bring, and other travel details. If you would like suggestions on where to lodge on the coast, please let me know.
If you have questions before registering, please feel free to ask me!
Included: Healthful snacks that hit the spot for sweet or salty cravings throughout the day. Hot coffee and a variety of teas, along with cream and sugar options. And of course plenty of fresh water to keep you hydrated.
Not Included: Meals and transportation to and from shooting locations.
Payment for the workshop is due in full once your date is confirmed.
Once a workshop is confirmed, it is rarely cancelled – even if there is rain in the forecast! After all, inclement weather can provide unique opportunities for dramatic images.
Workshops run even if the group count (4 participants) is not filled.
Please be sure to read the Terms and Conditions for details on cancellations, refunds, and other important information.