ALL SKILL LEVELS & EQUIPMENT WELCOME
This bird photography tour is all about witnessing the amazing feathered inhabitants of Oregon’s coast and documenting our encounters with our cameras. Don’t worry if you’re new to either photography or birding!
Thanks to the small-group setting, photography instruction throughout the day is tailored to your needs, skill level and interests. Whether you just bought your first DSLR or are a seasoned photographer, you’ll head home with photographs you’re excited to share with others. We will also spend time on species identification using a bird’s appearance and song.
With this Bird Photography Tour, you’ll:
- Capture images of a wide variety of bird species
- Boost your skills in understanding and predicting bird behavior to create story-telling images
- Expand your understanding of which camera settings to use for different situations, such as birds in flight, birds perched or singing, challenging light conditions, and more
- Learn how to use techniques such as pan blur and back-lighting add drama to your bird images
- Learn strategies for minimizing your impact on birds so you can capture intimate, compelling portraits
Half-Day: 4 hours (choose morning or afternoon start time)
Full-Day: 8 hours
Sunrise & Sunset: 12 hours. Day divided into two parts: 6 hours surrounding sunrise, 6 hours surrounding sunset, with a mid-day break. Start and end times vary by season.
Starts at $150
Discounted pricing for groups
Tour locations range in along the coast, and we may visit spots anywhere from Tillamook to Florence. Depending on the season, your preferences, the weather, tide schedule, and a range of other factors, our list of locations may include such highlights as:
– Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area
– Yaquina Bay
– Seal Rock
– Sea Lion Caves
– Siltez Bay National Wildlife Refuge
– State parks and forests
– and many other gorgeous spots along Oregon’s central coast
Of course, mixed in with these known locations are a slough of less celebrated and carefully scouted wild spots that are pure gems for photography.
- Small group setting ideal for one-on-one instruction and learning
- Crafted for the bird photography enthusiast whether you’re focused on wishlist species, or just want to capture the diversity of species found in the coast’s varied ecosystems.
- ALL skill levels welcome!
We visit birding hotspots that provide the highest likelihood of opportunities for portraits and behavior shots.
We’ll meet at the first location and caravan to subsequent locations. Locations may range anywhere from Tillamook to Florence, but most often range from Cascade Head to Cape Perpetua.
For full-day tours, we’ll break for lunch mid-day at a favorite local eatery. After we’re refreshed and ready for more, we’ll head to additional locations. For sunrise & sunset sessions, we’ll break after a 6-hour session in the morning, and meet again for a 6-hour session in the late afternoon.
The specific itinerary for the day will be customized around your goals, and around recent bird sightings and behaviors.
Remember: Wildlife is wild and there are no guarantees for what we will photograph while out. But drawing from years of experience as a wildlife photographer and daily scouting, I work diligently to maximize the opportunities you’ll have for both sightings and shots.
After your workshop date is confirmed, you’ll receive a link to an online intake survey where you can fill me in on you current skill level, interests, what you’d like to learn and see, and more. These details help me customize the day’s itinerary around your needs.
You’ll also receive details on what to wear, what equipment to bring, and other travel details. If you would like suggestions on where to lodge on the coast, please let me know.
If you have questions before registering, please feel free to ask me!
Included: Healthful snacks that hit the spot for sweet or salty cravings throughout the day. Hot coffee and a variety of teas, along with cream and sugar options. And of course plenty of fresh water to keep you hydrated.
Not Included: Meals and transportation to and from shooting locations.
Payment for the workshop is due in full once your date is confirmed.
Please be sure to read the Terms and Conditions for details on cancellations, refunds, and other important information.